[c-nsp] 3550 High CPU - nothing in proc cpu

Hector Herrera mail4hh at pobox.com
Sun Nov 15 01:43:03 EST 2009

Thank you for your responses.

I collected the commands to run the next time the cpu utilization
spikes.  I did manage to capture the output of 'show cef
not-cef-switched' and it shows a very large number under the
"unsupported" column.  All the other columns are zero.

Reading on the list archives I found a few commands to diagnose the
"unsupported" column and according to the output, it appears that it's
caused by TTL-expired being send to the cpu for processing.  Does this
mean that the hardware can't handle the TTL expired load or that
TTL-expired messages are strictly a software process on this hardware
(3550-12t)?

If I have such a large number of TTL-expired messages, does that mean
I have a routing loop somewhere?  If so, I have three uplink
interfaces, how do I find out which interface is causing the punts?

Here is the output from the commands I ran:

van-hc16-423-router#show ip cef switching stat

       Reason                          Drop       Punt  Punt2Host
RP LES No route                           0          0         37
RP LES Packet destined for us             0     273716          0
RP LES No adjacency                    8587          0          0
RP LES TTL expired                        0          0    1676276
RP LES Unclassified reason                1          0          0
RP LES Neighbor resolution req       210055          3          0
RP LES Total                         218643     273719    1676313

All    Total                         218643     273719    1676313
van-hc16-423-router#show ip cef switching stat feature
IPv4 CEF input features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host Gave route
Total                            0          0          0          0          0

IPv4 CEF output features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host    New i/f
Total                            0          0          0          0          0

IPv4 CEF post-encap features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host    New i/f
Total                            0          0          0          0          0

IPv4 CEF for us features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host    New i/f
Total                            0          0          0          0          0

IPv4 CEF punt features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host    New i/f
Total                            0          0          0          0          0

IPv4 CEF local features:
       Feature                Drop    Consume       Punt  Punt2Host Gave route
Total                            0          0          0          0          0
van-hc16-423-router#sh ip arp summ
16 IP ARP entries, with 0 of them incomplete
van-hc16-423-router#sh sdm prefer
 The current template is the routing extended-match template.
 The selected template optimizes the resources in
 the switch to support this level of features for
 16 routed interfaces and 1K VLANs.

 number of unicast mac addresses:   6K
 number of igmp groups:             6K
 number of qos aces:                1K
 number of security aces:           1K
 number of unicast routes:          12K
 number of multicast routes:        6K

van-hc16-423-router#sh ip route summary
IP routing table name is Default-IP-Routing-Table(0)
IP routing table maximum-paths is 32
Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Overhead    Memory (bytes)
connected       0           1           64          152
static          0           0           0           0
bgp 4280        0           0           0           0
  External: 0 Internal: 0 Local: 0
internal        1                                   1172
Total           1           1           64          1324
van-hc16-423-router#sh ip route vrf PublicRouter sum
van-hc16-423-router#sh ip route vrf PublicRouter summary
IP routing table name is PublicRouter(1)
IP routing table maximum-paths is 32
Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Overhead    Memory (bytes)
connected       0           4           256         608
static          1           0           128         152
bgp 4280        1274        1134        154112      367036
  External: 2408 Internal: 0 Local: 0
internal        66                                  77352
Total           1341        1138        154496      445148
van-hc16-423-router#

--
Hector Herrera
President