[c-nsp] BGP primer recco

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Wed Nov 18 07:29:47 EST 2009

Hi folks -

Need to learn BGP. Cisco-focused ok. Looking for the right book to buy.
Willing to buy 2-3 to get the right one.

I know the very fundamentals of BGP, and conversant in most other IOS
topics (route-maps and route redist, weights, IGPs). I can set up a
basic neighbor and get IBGP vs EBGP, but need to understand community
strings and weighting in BGP-world - used to an EIGRP/OSPF world
primarily.

Goal is to know how to effectively multi-home our enterprise (3 offices,
4 ISPs, we have an assigned ASN and /24), including redirecting inet
traffic between the sites over our private WAN links. Not looking to run
a tier-1 ISP or anything like that. (Yes, I know it can be a rats-nest
to multi-home. My needs are limited; also, it isn't just for the public
internet, I also need to present multi-home over BGP to trading partners
from our multiple sites over multiple links. I intend to keep the two
routing domains separate tho.)

So essentially I need "BGP for non-dummies that is also a good reference
book".

(Yes, I also have the mandatory on-call
friend-who-does-this-for-a-living to pester, but he does it for a living
for someone else, and I want him to remain a friend. :)  )

Thanks,
-bacon