[c-nsp] Coax E1 over IP

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Nov 19 07:11:07 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

We currently have a bunch of RAD FOM-E1/T1 modems. They work in pairs
converting E1 (entering via coax) to optical signaling carried via
single mode fiber to another modem that converts back to coax.

Since we have practically no way of monitoring the RAD modems, and since
it seems wasteful to use a pair on SMF just for a 2048kbps signal we
would like instead to utilize some kind of "E1 over IP".

Would anybody know how this can be achieved? We're thinking about Cisco
2800 routers that could convert an incoming coax E1 signal to IP and
then route this over our core network. Does that make sense? I can't
seem to find any coax interfaces for the 2800, only RJ45 interfaces. Are
we out of luck on that one?

And would anyone have any pointers to a "E1 over IP" basic configuration
we could look at?

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter