[c-nsp] ASR-1002 Feedback

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:26:46 EST 2009

Hi,

We've been using various ASR1k variants for the last few months.
Generally the experience's been positive. Devices deliver what is
expected in terms of performance without even breaking a sweat. We
used them mainly as border routers (in a PE configuration). One thing
that you have to pay some attention to is features - since the
platform is relatively new (and effectively hardware-based, so
features take some time to add) some things that you might need might
not be there yet. At some stage (around 2.2.1 if I recall correctly)
you could configure PortChannel, but it wouldn't work. One other
feature that we're missing is 6VPE (that is coming in a few months),
but I'm sure that there are some others too.

I admit that my experience is SP based, but I believe that the ASR1k
is the way of the feature for small-ish Ethernet aggregation.

kind regards
Pshem