[c-nsp] RFC-1483 on Cisco 12000

Forrest W. Christian fwc at mt.net
Thu Nov 19 22:52:05 EST 2009

I have a new-to-me Cisco 12008 which I am working on swapping in as a
replacement for a 7206VXR which was moving way too much traffic....
GRP,, Engine 1 Giga-E, Engine 0 Quad ATM OC3.

Things have gone really well, and I'm quite happy so far...   But ended
up with one surprise.  Didn't realize the 12008 won't bridge a ATM PVC
to a VLAN (or any ethernet for that matter)...

Basically we have a few things which we extend an 802.1q vlan across a
point to point ATM circuit to a far end for.   I have a couple of ideas
on how to get around it, but would really prefer that the 12008 do the
work.   Doesn't look like an option for me - but figured I'd ask if
anyone knows of something I missed....   The other ends of the ATM
circuit are various old and new ciscos, some with MPLS, and some not,
although it doesn't look like the 12008 will do EoMPLS either with the
engines I have.

Probably will look at some other options using a tunnel or similar.

-forrest