[c-nsp] delay eBGP sessions on startup?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Nov 23 03:58:43 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:10:25AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
>   "bgp update-delay <n>"
>
> "the bgp update-delay command is used to tune the maximum time the
> software will wait after the first neighbor is established until it
> starts calculating best paths and sending out advertisements".
>
> Now, what does "maximum time" mean?  Will it wait, or will it not?
>
> The documentation that I found claims that the default value is "120",
> which would certainly not agree with the observed behaviour.  OTOH,
> Marco claims that he has seen "0" as a default...

The docs make it look like more of a graceful-restart specific timer,
not like advertisement-interval (intentionally delaying the propagation
of new updates to try and consolidate them) or the "on-startup" delay
behaviors available in the IGPs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6550/products_white_paper09186a008016317c.shtml

The "bgp update-delay n" command may be entered on the Cisco NSF-capable
router. The update-delay specifies the time interval- after the first
peer has reconnected during which the restarting router expects to
receive all BGP updates and the EOR marker from all of its configured
peers. The default value of n is 120 seconds, and n is always measured
in seconds. If the restarting router has a large number of peers, each
with a large number of updates to be sent, this value may need to be
increased from its default value.