[c-nsp] delay eBGP sessions on startup?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 24 02:25:27 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:03:07PM -0500, Bill Desjardins wrote:
> just an idea. I have not tried this and it may also not fit your
> application... this is on sup2's (SXF17)
>
> in my tiny network I have several route reflectors which handle only
> my customer assignements. nice and small for ibgp convergence.
>
> the idea is that the border routers peer with the ibgp RR's and use a
> bgp conditional statement to advertise your aggregate upstream only
> upon matching a 'trigger route' received from the ibgp RR. I am no bgp

This would work, but won't do the job in our network - this network is
really, really small (but has BIG requirements, as always :-) ) - so there
are no other BGP routers.

Given that there are only these two boxes, and neither can rely on the
other one (it could be down...), waiting for a certain route to show
up might be fatal - depending on what else is available, the route might
just not show up ever.

(I'm not sure that I would be able to convince the customer that adding
two more BGP boxes and increasing the complexity of the overall
configuration is a good thing...)

What I'm currently leaning toward is "put all internal routes into OSPF
and to hell with best practices"...  much less complexity, problem
still solved. The estimate is that we'll see something like 50-100
internal routes at maximum, and OSPF will quite happily handle this.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de