[c-nsp] Runts in the network

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Tue Nov 24 06:45:52 EST 2009

Hello Group,

I have 7200's acting as PE's and running 12.4.23 that show an abnormal numbers of runts. The interfaces where this can be seen are
E1 channel-groups configured for frame-relay. This is the typical configuration:

!
frame-relay switching
!
controller E1 x/y
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
!
interface Serialx/y:0
 encapsulation frame-relay
 frame-relay traffic-shaping
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
 frame-relay ip rtp header-compression
 frame-relay intf-type dce
!
interface Serialx/y:0.100 point-to-point
 ip vrf forwarding MY-VRF
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
 ip rip advertise 10
 frame-relay interface-dlci 100
  class MY-CLASS
 frame-relay ip rtp header-compression
!

The E1 is completely clean but the serial interface shows runts:

ROUTER#sh int sx/y:0
Serialx/y:0 is up, line protocol is up
(...)
     12 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
(...)
ROUTER#

This happens everywhere in the network and there are many 7200's. The PA is the PA-MC-8TE1+.

What could be the source of the problem ? I know what a runt is but i would like to understand why i have it all over the network.

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S)
amsoares at netcabo.pt