[c-nsp] 6500 - What determines whether certain traffic is punted or not?

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:00:09 EST 2009

Hi Drew,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been having some issues with queue drops/CLI sluggishness on a 6500
> and I wanted to check what kind of volume of traffic I was getting punted to
> the RP.
>
> I made a span session and began checking out the traffic with tethereal.

How did you make the span session?  I think a regular span session gets you
everything - not just punted packets.

I haven't actually tried this, but here's the notes I have for setting up a
span session to see punted packets:
------------------

Here are the instructions to setup inband span (which monitors traffic sent
to the MSFC):

Router#monitor session 1 source interface fa 3/3 !--- Use any interface that
is administratively shut down.
Router#monitor session 1 destination interface fa 3/2

Now, go to the SP console. Here is an example:

Router#remote login switch
Router-sp#test monitor add 1 rp-inband rx <--- check the syntax as it varies
from one IOS to the next so use ?

Verify monitor session:

Router-sp#test monitor show session 1
Ingress Source Ports: 3/3 15/1