[c-nsp] OT: VSS + MEC - port-channel dynamically cloned?

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Tue Nov 24 14:03:26 EST 2009

[...taking this from nanog to c-nsp...]

> Essentially, for all of the MEC connections, the VSS has created a clone
> of the configured port-channel to bind the actual physical connections,
> rather than binding them under the configured port-channel (and suffixed
> the port-channel number with A or B depending on which chassis was first
> to bind).

I believe this is an LACP artifact; speculation, but when the port-channel
is first formed, the far-end aggregator is saved. If the channel is
re-formed with a new aggregator, the channel is "cloned" like this.

I've only tripped across this on standalone 6500's when bringing up new
LACP bundles; destroying and recreating them worked fine (though as you
noticed, there's no functional impact from a "cloned" Po interface, just
cosmetic).