[c-nsp] is a DWDM SFP a DWDM SFP?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Nov 24 22:53:44 EST 2009

Jeff Bacon wrote:
> Will the SFPs from the ONS systems work in a cat6500? There's a plethora
> of ONS-SC-2G SFPs out there, but not so many DWDM-SFP-xxxx modules. I'm
> guessing that the disparity in supply means they don't work, but would
> like some confirm.
>
> (Have a temporary need to run a gig over a DWDM wave, looking for the
> cheap way out.)

I've been told no but it's worth trying.  You might be able to use the
unsupported-transceiver option too.

<rant>
I REALLY wish all Cisco BUs would pick a set of optics and make them
universal across ALL Cisco product lines.  This crap of some products
supporting only GLC- or some only support SFP- or some only supporting
ONS- optics is a damn joke.  Yes I know that ONSs use optics with DOM
support but now so are most other things too.  Create an internal
standards group, define what's needed, create 1 set of optics and make
all BUs use those optics!
</rant>

Justin