[c-nsp] is a DWDM SFP a DWDM SFP?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 25 15:57:37 EST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:17:56AM -0500, Scott McGrath wrote:
> I can see their point especially in SP networks and to keep the
> counterfeit optics at bay

Actually, what Cisco did is *create* a market for counterfeit optics.

There's chinese out there that will sell you a crappy and dirt-cheap
SFP or GBIC that is branded "Cisco!" and that your Cisco gear would
happily accept.  While at the same time refusing a quality Finisair
SFP because it has no Cisco serial number.

There would not be any business for cheap copied SFPs if quality OEM SFPs
would just work.

> What's even worse is that most of CSCO's optics are indeed Finisar optics
> with different firrmware.

There's firmware in optics?  I thought it's all just serial numbers and
checksums in the EPROM...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de