[c-nsp] QoS for different types of internet customers

Lobo lobotiger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 09:08:17 EST 2009

We're in the early stages of planning a QoS rollout for our MPLS enabled
network and while we have in mind to offer about 4 different classes
(Real Time, Gold, Silver, Bronze/Best Effort), we were told by Marketing
that they wish to differentiate between different types of Internet
customers.  Originally and like most standard practices, any internet
customer's traffic would normally be put in the BE queue.  Now we're
getting requests to have say the low, bursty internet customers (1.5Mbps
- 3.0Mbps) get put into the BE queue while a dedicated 20Mbps should go
into the silver or even gold queue.

I have many problems with this like how would you be able to put the 20M
customer's traffic in to the gold queue for traffic coming in from the
Internet?  The only way I can think of is to match on their IP space on
each of our gateway routers but this would destroy our gateways since
they're already running hot enough.  Another issue is, what happens if
that customer gets DDoS'd?  This would mean that we're guaranteeing that
at least 20Mbps of DoS traffic would be able to go through our network
and to the customer's site.  Oh and at the same time probably affecting
the data customers who would be using the gold/silver queues for their
services.

Do you guys have any advice whether it's more ammunition for me to say
no way or some kind of design/configuration that would possibly work?

Thanks in advance.

Jose