[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Nov 26 11:19:28 EST 2009

On 2009-11-26 14:45, Julio Arruda wrote:

> I'm curious, what is the difference ? I remember the debate (bridge x
> switch) in another generation...
> Is the N7K is a hard-coded-can't-change forwarding glue (EARL8 at that)
> platform, TCAM based, hence the 'switch' term ?
> Or in the feature set (control-plane ? forwarding-plane ?)

As Roland already pointed out, the forwarding plane is similiar -
EARL8 is the logic and it is common for Sup2T and N7K current generation
of Sup. There's difference (big one) in the way switch
fabric is built, and there's also a difference in the way
control plane operates - different hardware behind the CLI for 6500
(even with Sup2T) and the one you find in N7K.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end. |                  Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end. |       http://lukasz.bromirski.net