[c-nsp] Using BFD as a link monitoring protocol

twelcome at mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za twelcome at mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za
Tue Nov 17 16:25:01 EST 2009

Hi All

 I need to monitor the state of links between router interfaces, and I have a case where the link may go down (due to fibre break at L2) but the interfaces still appear up when polled (we're on a ring). When a link goes down I need to get sent a trap specifically identifying which link went down, so I've looked at BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection), and the idea is to set up bfd sessions to run between each pair of interfaces that define a link, and a session failure will result in snmp traps being sent identifying which link failed.

My question is: Has anyone deployed BFD for this purpose, i.e link failure monitoring, and is this an appropriate application of BFD?

Thanks,
Traiano