[c-nsp] Using BFD as a link monitoring protocol

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Nov 27 04:13:51 EST 2009

> Correct, I intend using one of bgp, isis or other appropriate IGP with
BFD
> as cisco recommends in their documentation.

Ok. fine.

> Are you sure there is no mib for BFD?, I see, on ciscos ftp mib
repository,
> a bfd-ietf-mib.txt that reads " ... Mib for bidirectional forwarding
> protocol... "?

There is this MIB, but as far as I know, it has just been implemented,
and it is currently ony in 12.2(33)SRE images. No idea when this will
show up in other trains..

> Alternatively, if I used this with isis, for example, would I be able
> have isis generate traps, based on detection performed by the BFD
mechanism?

I think so, you can use ciiAdjacencyChange (in CISCO-IETF-ISIS-MIB) to
detect ISIS adjacency changes (MIB support is also quite new, please
check availability in your image(s) using MIB locator at
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/MainServlet)

	oli