[c-nsp] BGP soft-reconfiguration inbound impact

Frederic LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Fri Nov 27 09:36:26 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

I spent some times googling/searching the mailing list but I could not
find any clear answer regarding
memory impact related to "soft-reconfiguration inbound" statement. (If
you have any link/pointer, I'm interested !)

We're running a bunch of 760X (RSP7203CXL + 8x10G withc DFC3CXL) having
full BGP feed and some of them start to be really overloaded.

I've read now and then that it is not recommended to use
"soft-reconfiguration inbound" due to the extra memory used, but :

1) What is the clear impact of this command ? (Is there an algorithm
formula O(n) that would help us to quantity the memory used ?)
2) Is this extra-memory still an issue with modern hardware ?
3) What is the common best practice ?
4) Are you using "soft-reconfiguration inbound", if yes how ? (i.e: Only
for troubleshooting purpose, "always on" as part of your configuration
template etc.)

Thanks in advance to all for your feedback

--
Frederic LOUI / GIP RENATER

Pilotage & Suivi du Réseau
Network Backbone Engineering & Planning

Tel: +33 1 53 94 20 40 / Fax: +33 1 53 94 20 31
loui at renater.fr http://www.renater.fr