[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Fri Nov 27 20:17:50 EST 2009

On 28/11/2009, at 2:33 AM, Justin Shore wrote:
> Exactly.  These days MPLS/VPNs is as much a DC feature as basic switching.  Our DC couldn't operate with MPLS/VPNs.

so some extent it depends on exactly how far 'down' into your DC you extend MPLS VPNs.

for example, do you extend it down to the access layer?
or at what point do you map a MPLS VPN into a VRF or VLAN?

because even without MPLS today, many folks with N7K quite happily make use of VRFs on N7K, although in cisco parlance you'd call it "vrf lite".

one nice characteristic of NX-OS is that everything is vrf aware.  i.e. there is no such thing as a "global table", rather there is a "default vrf" where everything goes if you don't explicitly use vrfs.

On 28/11/2009, at 4:16 AM, Justin Shore wrote:
> Jason Plank wrote:
>> Really. The product seems to be selling quite well. You are over stating. Keep it real.
>
> Hardly.  It means that people are using the Nexus as a L2 switching workhorse and relying on additional L3 hardware to bring in the basic MPLS/VPN capabilities.

SOME people use it for L2.  the majority of deployments i've seen are making extensive use of L3.

cheers,

lincoln.