[c-nsp] QoS on LNS virtual-template

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 18:46:22 EST 2009

I do think you'll need the parent/child setup. The problems start with
knowing what to set the parent policer to. If all you're sessions are fixed
B/W then you can hard code it. If you have a mix then you may have more of a
challenge.

Some providers pass through the downstream B/W from the DSLAM/LAC to the LNS
- many don't (check if your VAI have the right bandwidth). And setting your
QoS to the negotiated DSL rate may not of course mean that all the traffic
gets through the provider network from your LNS to the DSLAM, so you might
prioritise all you like on the LNS...and get wholly arbitary drops from your
provider. If they offer QoS then you'll need to mirror your QoS marking to
the L2TP encapsulated packet with "ip tos reflect" in the VPDN group.

The latest 12.2SB have been better for us for QoS on L2TP VAI, but in
general it seems flaky and small code changes can have a big impact on a)
whether it works at all and b) how well it works.

To be confident....you'll need a lot of testing.

Dean