[c-nsp] Route reflection - need second set(s) of eyes please

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Fri Oct 2 12:33:29 EDT 2009

All,

I'm trying to figure out some unexpected behavior relating to route
reflection.  First, a diagram:

RAS/A1---Dist/A1---Core/A1---Core/B1---Dist/B1---RAS/B1

(City A and City B, one device of each type represented)

All routers shown above are in the same ASN.  As currently configured,
the cores are fully-meshed.  The dists are neighbored with the cores,
and the dists are route reflector clients of the cores (I guess from a
configuration perspective, the cores see the dists as route reflector
clients).  The dists are neighbored with the RASen, but the RASen are
not currently considered route reflector clients.

To the best of my knowledge, since the dists aren't configured to treat
the RASen as route reflector clients, they shouldn't be passing the RAS
routes along to the core (who would then reflect them to the other
city's core, who would then reflect them to that city's dists).
However, it appears that the RAS routes are making it across the network.

Should I be confused?  Should I be configuring the dists to treat the
RASen as RRC, to avoid future surprises?

Thanks,

Pete