[c-nsp] Will UDLD work with converters ?

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:03:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Justin Shore <justin at justinshore.com> wrote:

> The single-strand Cisco GigE optic is limited to 10km too. Single-strand
> optics are critical in the SP world.  Not everyone has excess bundles of
> dark fiber to play with to turn up a simple GigE link.  I understand that
> Cisco wouldn't sell a lot of these since most of their business is
> enterprise.  I get that.

I get that too, but I strongly disagree with the strategy. In this part of
the world (Whatcom/Skagit county, Washington state), dark fiber is cheap and
readily available for about the cost of a T1 in many locations. (If buildout
is required, it's often subsidized into the MRC.)

My network at $dayjob is hardly big enough to be considered enterprise (our
fanciest piece of kit is a 3560), yet for branch locations we still have the
need to use unsupported 70km and single-strand optics.

Surely the world has other communities like this, with cheap plentiful
fiber? $4k for a ZX transceiver with the right logo on it is laughable.

-Nick