[c-nsp] IOS 15.0 - why the numbering jump?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 5 02:40:43 EDT 2009

On Monday 05 October 2009 10:20:13 am Matthew Marlowe wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Someone on twitter said that Asian culture has a phobia
> of the number 14,...

<off-topic>

Well, to be exact, the Chinese are generally superstitious
of the number "4". That includes anything that has a "4" in
it, e.g., 14, 24, 34, 44, e.t.c.

Conversely, "8" is considered to be associated with good
luck and fortune.

I can't speak to other Asian nationals/cultures re: numbers.

</off-topic>

> similar to the western phobia of 13.  I
> would have preferred Cisco just ignore this stuff, but if
> they were going to bump, I guess 15 is just as good as
> 14.  At least they are not naming it Cisco IOS 2010 or
> some such.

<more off-topic>

Perhaps Cisco saw Juniper were gaining on them with their
upcoming release of JUNOS 10. Knowing Juniper's release
cycle, it wouldn't be long before JUNOS 12 became available
(oh my, imagine JUNOS 12.2, JUNOS 12.3, JUNOS 12.4, JUNOS
12.5, e.t.c.).

I guess IOS 15 keeps Cisco a couple of steps ahead :-).

</more off-topic>

Mark.