[c-nsp] Monitoring HTTP / url access @10gig

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 5 09:24:26 EDT 2009

We beta tested the GigaMon platform and for the most part it does what
it claims it can do; basically takes a span feed and "fans" it out for
analysis; in the end it was just too $$pricey$$ (> ~$100K USD); seems
like the target mkt are carriers and large service providers.

Our OITSecurity group has been looking at NetOptics as a less expensive
alternative:
http://www.network-taps.eu/home/home.php

Does basically the same as the Gigamon but not nearly as expensive
(~$50K USD); albeit with less bells and whistles.

I forgot to mention that our focus is on IPS/IDS and these 10-gig feeds
are to our IPS/IDS "home grown" clusters.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100 at umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services