[c-nsp] Monitoring HTTP / url access @10gig

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 5 09:59:15 EDT 2009

I'm a bit surprise you were not able to match on IPv6 addresses; will
something like this get any IPv6 traffic at all?

ipv6 access-list IPv6-Sample-ACL
 permit ipv6 any any

To answer your question:

current:
* Vlan based SPANs, with edge feed on dot.1q trunk; this allows for
"poor man" granularity by vlan ("permit all" & not as good as VACL)
* IDS are open-bsd running snort with extensive ruleset for matching
attack signatures

not-so-distant-future (which will buy as a few years):
* net-optics

In my opinion all of this is analogous to  an  "arms race" where at some
point traffic volume over-runs current method or technology used then
the whole design needs to be re-visited again; but then again IT is
somewhat like that by nature.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100 at umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services
2218 University Ave SE | Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029
Office: 612.626.2779 | Pager: 612.648.0103 | Fax: 612.626.1818