[c-nsp] does PBR apply to traffic from connected interfaces to router itself?

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Mon Oct 5 15:49:45 EDT 2009

I'm doing some tests and i have a case where a vpdn user is able to send snmp requests to
the router's loopback where he's connected, although i have a route-map under his
vtemplate sending all snmp to null0. I have verified that snmp cannot go outside of router
(so route-map is indeed working), but i had the impression that he shouldn't be able to
snmp anobody, including the router itself.

There is a trick, because vtemplate is using Loopback's ip, but i don't know if that's the
reason snmp is allowed to "bypass" the route-map.

ip access-list extended SNMP-ACL
  permit udp any any eq snmp

route-map TEST-ROUTEMAP permit 10
  match ip address SNMP-ACL
  set interface Null0

interface Virtual-Template1
  ip unnumbered Loopback0
  ip policy route-map TEST-ROUTEMAP

Router is a 7200 running 12.2(31)SB14.
I'm going to repeat the test using icmp, but it seems quite strange until now.

PS1 : Local PBR is used for router generated traffic (router=src), so it shouldn't have
any effect in my case.

PS2 : I know there are other ways to stop snmp traffic from reaching the router or to
block snmp traffic leaving an interface, but that's not my issue right now.

--
Tassos