[c-nsp] DWDM optics on 6500s

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 21:24:11 EDT 2009

> Well that's wonderfully comforting. Though I really probably only need
> two ports anyway - ring-in and ring-out. Maybe not so bad. I'd consider
> a 720-VS-10G head if I had some confidence that those two ports on the
> sup were actually connected to the fabric.

The 10Gig ports on the  VS-S720 are fabric attached.

> I don't really need to run line rate - this is more about latency and
> burst capacity than sustained throughput. I have loads that burst from 0
> to 500Mb/sec (then back) in nothing flat, and multiple of those may run
> through the wire at the same time. Or not.

I think lots of people are in the latency not bandwidth situation.
That's probably why most vendors aren't producing dense 10Gig cards
yet. We have the situation where GigE latency is too high for some
apps, but 10Gig is okay.

> Someone pointed out that the X2 and SFP+ xcvrs don't have much punch,
> and I'm going to be shooting 20-30km through passive MUXes. So that
> might matter

Opnext claims ER SFP+. Haven't seen anyone doing ZR or anything more
exotic yet. Sure it will come though. Something FEC/EFEC in the 200km
range would be interesting for many people.

--
Tim:>
Sent from New York, NY, United States