[c-nsp] multilink doc

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Tue Oct 6 03:09:34 EDT 2009

jack daniels wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Please help me with any doc which states about multilink regarding  "
> MULTILINK SHOULD NOT have its L2 links from diffrent service providers or
> with diffrent delay" <<<<< but bandwidth of links is same in my case.
> We are having some issues of slowness while accessing citrix application
> across multilink.

General info on the workings of MPPP (assuming this is what you are
using): Multilink PPP splits up packets between the links involved. If
you have different line speeds, or more than nominal latency
differences, the transmission will be as slow as the slowest link, or
might fail completely ... also, errors on one link will cause
performance degradation, as the whole packet is retransmitted ...

Don't have a doc handy at the moment ...

If you have different lines, albeit with same speed, and do not need the
combined speed for single flows (which I assume from you mentioning
Citrix), you could always set up two separate links with same routes
going over both ... that way, traffic will be distributed among the
links, with overall less impact by the slower link ...

-garry