[c-nsp] vrf-lite over a layer3 link

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Oct 6 08:51:51 EDT 2009

Stefan Juon wrote:
>  I understand that vrf-lite uses vlan's to separate the
> customers between ce and pe, I have seen these in all the examples I already
> read. As supposely no provider supports vlan's but rather layer 3 lines the
> big question is: How to span a network using vrf-lite over a provider?

The suggested method is to use GRE tunneling for each VRF instance over
the global L3 link.  This is a very platform/software dependent feature
and will likely be process switched if supported at all.  I have done
this for one local VRF simply to get end-to-edge connectivity for an
isolated, low-traffic instance without having to drill the L2 vlan
through the entire local path.

Jeff