[c-nsp] GSR CPU Process is very HIGH 95%

Lasher, Donn DLasher at newedgenetworks.com
Wed Oct 7 17:01:26 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Templin [mailto:petelists at templin.org]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] GSR CPU Process is very HIGH 95%

Lasher, Donn wrote:

>> To clarify, this depends on both the card type (engine 0/1/2/3/4/5)
and
>> traffic type (mpls, DSCP marking, etc).  You can be doing everything
>> right, and still have 50% CPU with the wrong combination of those
two..
>> (For example, MPLS Labeling and Engine0 GIG-E card at 100M of
traffic)

>Right, but that'd be 50% CPU on the linecard, not on the xRP, right?
>
>(In other words, you'd find 50% CPU by doing 'execute-on all sh proc c
>| e 0.0.%' but wouldn't find it by doing 'sh proc c s | e 0.0.%'.)

No, in the example I gave, 100M of CE-PE MPLS traffic (IE the router is
labeling/unlabeling) on an Engine0 1-port GIG-E line card will run the
Processor CPU up nice and high. Swap the Engine0 LC for an Engine3 LC
(4-port), and the Proc CPU is sub 5% with the same traffic patterns.

Whether it's interrupts, whether it's packet handling, the Processor CPU
load is affected. (FWIW, in a P-role, forwarding already-labeled
traffic, it doesn't appear to have the same CPU hit)