[c-nsp] Migrate 6500 to 7600

Mateusz Blaszczyk blahu77 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 04:28:28 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:39:07PM +0100, Mateusz Blaszczyk wrote:
> List,
>
> We are going to replace a chassis of our core router (SUP720).
> At the moment it is a standard 6509, but the new one is going to be a
> smaller 7606S, using the same SUP720 (also the plan is to update the TCAM
> with XL memory upgrade kit). The box is running SXF.
>
> Did anyone undergo such switchover? Are there any gotchas to avoid, some
> tips(howtos) to follow? We will run SRB or SRC, not sure yet.

For the archives

We finalized the migration yesterday.
First device was pretty straightforward as ppl suggested.
Second not so much.

So :
1) We decided to go with SRB6 as we don't need features/bugs? from
SRC,D. This still works fine for us, I am aware that SRB will be
deprecated sometime in the future so I will keep an eye on the archives
here and upgrade when appropriate.

2) Gotcha#1 - remeber to format your flash (if you are using a new one)
under the SXF IOS, when I did it under SRD (on a distinct device), it
won't boot at all.

3) Gotcha#2 - the 3BXL upgrade is 2 stage process - you need to upgrade
memory DIMMs and install a PFC daughtercard. On the second occasion the
memory DIMMs were not seated properly. After installing the the upgraded
SUP into new chassis, there was no console output, no LEDs on, nothing.
After reseating DIMM modules SUP booted no probs. This is documented in
troubleshooting section on the leaflet that comes with 3BXL upgrade kit.

4) Gotcha#3 (or stupidity on our part) - as, I think Gert mentioned,
bring up first 1 IGP adjacency, then get your full BGP feed, then bring
all other IGP adjacencies.
That will save you from creating huge loops in the network. Mea culpa.

That's all for now.

Best Regards,

-mat

--