[c-nsp] SUP720 - 12.2(18)SXF17

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Oct 9 09:16:27 EDT 2009

I think it's important to note that there are similar limiters in
other devices, eg: Juniper m20/m40 that we've encountered over the
years.

This has caused customer confusion as they hit these, even in a fully
distributed linecard environment.  The reality is unless it's done in
a low-level ASIC, it can easily turn into a security vulnerability.

Drop 5 gigs of ttl=1 traffic at a device and it will fall over unless
there is some protection.  It may not even need to be as high as 5g.

There are a lot of rate-limiters available, check out 'show mls rate-
limit' on your Earl7 (76k, ie: (65|76)00) based device. Set them low
to avoid problems.  I find 100/10 works well.

	- Jared