[c-nsp] SUP720 - 12.2(18)SXF17

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Oct 10 07:57:10 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-10 13:35, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> Some days I would pay good money for a traceroute handling ASIC, or at
> least some primitives for it in some microcode somewhere, so it isn't at
> the mercy of BGP scanner, someone running a complex sh ip bgp on the
> cli, or any random kid capable of generating>  500pps.

Then look no more :) Actually, the Sup6E is supposed to have the
TTL expired and other stuff (including IP Options) support built in
into the IPP ASIC (the one that handles all IP traffic). Unfortunately,
Sup6E in Cat4500 or 4900M which is based on that is hardly a core
router.

However, there's sign that those things go into the ASICs with time.
Next generation of hardware will propably have it also if that's
already cheap enough to fit into generally orderable products.

And yes, I agree, that CoPP or whatever-you-call-it should be always
tuneable, to not bounce off some artificial limits that are not visible
at the first, second and third look into the design.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end. |                  Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end. |       http://lukasz.bromirski.net