[c-nsp] ASA Firewalls placement in the network!

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Sun Oct 11 20:00:15 EDT 2009

>> The worst thing you can do is put a stateful firewall in front of a
busy DNS server - every single packet creating new state will bring
most hardware-based firewalls to their knees, because "session churn"
is usually handled at much lower packet rate as "pure packet throughput
for existing state"...

I concur and have battle scar to attest for this; we tried to put a
stateful firewall in front of our public NTP server (which also happen
to be our DNS servers) and the firewall tipped over within 5 minutes;
state tables got exhausted quick.

- Ge

Univ of Mn