[c-nsp] ASN statistic tools

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Wed Oct 14 13:26:51 EDT 2009

Hi,

You can certainly have a look to the following page which
captures a number of NetFlow collector packages (free and
commercial) available around. I'm sure most of them are
supporting ASNs:

http://www.switch.ch/network/projects/completed/TF-NGN/floma/software.html

If you are looking at something that goes a bit further
than simply grabbing peer/origin AS numbers from within
NetFlow packets (and possibly aggregating/accounting), i
would like to point you a presentation i gave recently
(09/2009) at UKNOF and SwiNOG:

"Introducing BGP natively into a NetFlow/sFlow collector":
http://www.pmacct.net/lucente_pmacct_uknof14.pdf

In short, this allows to join accounting information (NetFlow)
and routing information (BGP). Main outcomes are: a) ability to
correlate peer and origin AS numbers (and not having to choose
one of them) and b) get insight of traffic levels on primitives
like AS-PATH, BGP communities, Local Preference, etc.

Hope it could be of interest.

Cheers,
Paolo