[c-nsp] Right sizing new router purchase

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Oct 16 15:09:22 EDT 2009

Howdy,

We generally only make major upgrades to our network on a 3-4year cycle and that cycle has now cycled =)

Our main concern is 'most bang for the buck' followed by working NetFlow, and rock-solid reliability.

This is the configuration we're looking at:

12810
2xPRP-2
12000-SIP-600
SPA-10X1GE-V2

This device will be used as an Internet border router with several (as many as 3) connections to the Internet /w full BGP routes.

We are currently running 12012s /w GRP-B and they're definitely starting to show their age.

My question is, with what we're looking at (and considering the stuff we're currently using) does anyone see a problem with expecting 3-4 years out of this new equipment?

Thanks for any advice =)

-Drew