[c-nsp] Sup720-3BXL reboots periodically

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 19 01:16:11 EDT 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009 10:34:43 am Jason Koh wrote:

> I was wondering what kind of event can trigger Non-Masked
> Interrupts. I have another Cat6 which is running the same
> IOS and hardware configuration as this one, but it
> doesn't reboot. Hopefully someone can help to shed some
> light on this.

We had similar crashes due to 'watchdog timer nmi reset' on
SRC.

Issues initially pointed to bad software, then bad hardware,
then bad software.

It was later confirmed to be bad software, triggered by BFD,
which, for the life of me, I hope has finally been fixed in
SRC5.

Coming back to your issue, it could be a software-related
problem, but since another supervisor module is running
fine, it could also be hardware-related.

Note, though, that in our case, uncommanded reboots across
the network were not synchronized. However, eventually, all
affected routers (NPE-G1's) did reboot; it was only a matter
of when, not if.

At any rate, filing a case with TAC is probably your best
recourse.

Cheers,

Mark.