[c-nsp] ip sla question

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Oct 20 04:23:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 15:33 -0700, Alex Wa wrote:
> Why do we need to specify dst-port as in
>
> ip sla 1
> udp-jitter <dest-ip> <DEST-PORT>
>
> even when the ip sla responder doen't have one particular port where
> it listens to?

If you only enable "ip sla responder" the query device uses control
packets to enable the port you specify on the receiving device.

If you specify a port on the receiving device (e.g. "ip sla responder
udp-echo port 65500") you can run SLA probes without control packets
from the query device:

ip sla 1
 udp-echo 10.0.0.1 65500 control disable
!

So the port is always used, but the IP SLA control packets tells the
receiving device to listen on the specific port before the probe is
sent.

--
Peter