[c-nsp] Ignoring 7200 Bandwidth Points

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Sat Oct 24 15:30:58 EDT 2009

Justin Shore wrote:
> I'm considering moving the OC3s over to the 7206 (NPE-G1).  I'll have
> to pick up some PA-A3-OC3SMI PAs to do it.  I believe my 4 existing
> OC3s put me at the max on bandwidth points.  However throughput on
> them is very low.  Average CPU on the G1 is less than 10%, throughput
> on the OC3s averages only 10-15Mbps with peaks maybe twice that.
>
> I believe I read that I can ignore the bandwidth points warning and
> load up the chassis if the PAs are running at sub-rates.  Would 6x OC3
> PAs running at the low rates I described be a problem for a G1?  I can
> pick up a couple extra OC3 PAs and have them here in a few days if
> that's the case.
The VXR has 600 bw points per bus, so by moving the 4 PAs on two each
per bus, you should be fine ... remember, the GE ports on the G1 won't
count towards the points, as they are handled on the on-board bus of the
G1 ... You should even be below the threshold, as the OC3 cards come in
at 300 points IIRC ... of course, with 3 each you will be over ...

When we had a box with oversubscribed bw points, we didn't notice any
packet loss until maybe something like 100mbit usage on a POS card ...
can't be recommended though, as you never can be sure of how reliable
the box will run ... or when the packet errors begin biting you ...

-gg