[c-nsp] Scratching the surface of SNMP

Charlie Greenaway Charlie.Greenaway at btinet.bt.com
Tue Oct 27 04:37:23 EDT 2009

Peter,

With regards to point 1.  I'm sure that there is a better way of doing this but here is a hack to achieve the same result.
Cross reference the ARP table, IfTable and IP Table.  From these you will be able to eliminate the locally configured IP addresses and MAC addresses (the intersection of ARP and IP tables).  Whatever is left in the ARP table is what is connected to the interface (intersect with remainder of ARP table and IF table).

Clearly, if there are devices that are bridging only, they will not appear.

Please do keep me posted on how you get on.  I'm going to be writing some MPLS/VRF-Lite based tools soon.

Best regards,

Charlie G

Charlie Greenaway - CCIE#11226 (Security/R&S)

Solutions Architect | BT iNet | Tel: +44 (0)1993 885897
Email: charlie.greenaway at btinet.bt.com | Web: www.btinet.bt.com