[c-nsp] SPA V1 vs V2

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Tue Oct 27 13:05:43 EDT 2009

On 26 Oct 2009, at 21:48, Tony wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I curious of what the actual difference is between SPA-2XGE &
> SPA-2X1GE-V2.
>
> I'm aware this question has been asked before, but the answer was
> just a reference to the product spec sheets which doesn't really
> tell me what the difference between the two products are.
>
> What I can tell by reading the spec sheets is that the v2 has SFP
> AND RJ45 connectors, while v1 only has SFP.
>
> If I then look at the detailed list of "features and functions" and
> compare them I can see that the v2 card lists the following
> additional features:
> - 802.1ad QinQ termination
> - 8000 VLANs per SPA (instead of 4000 in v1)

This is for platforms other than 6k5/7k6 I believe -- even with SIP/
SPA - you cannot do >4095 VLANs/chassis on this platform.

> So I ask the question of anyone who knows more on this topic, what
> is the real difference between v1 & v2 cards ? I would be putting
> them in a SIP-400 in a 7600 chassis.

The v2 card does do QoS (we tested CoS and DSCP marking), we have done
some testing on this in CPOC - it's worth bearing in mind that the SPA
is essentially a framer for the SIP, therefore where there are
features that are not really related to framing, they are likely to be
supported on both SPAs.

I can confirm that the v1 SPA does _NOT_ support QinQ termination - it
will let you configure it with 'encaps dot1q 400 second-dot1q 200',
but will just fail to do anything. I wish that Cisco would fix it so
that these cards that do not support a feature do not let you
configure it!

Kind regards,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html