[c-nsp] ISR G2 "multicore"?

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Fri Oct 30 04:13:01 EDT 2009

On 29/10/2009, at 9:58 AM, David Hughes wrote:

> On 28/10/2009, at 11:18 PM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>
>> The smartest/sanest thing to do, IMHO, would be to work at
>> migrating to NX-OS, feature-set by feature-set.  It's by far the
>> cleanest and best-designed OS platform Cisco have come out with to
>> date.
>
> Couldn't agree more.  NX-OS looks like a great platform that could
> "easily" become the basis for all things in the future.  And lets
> face it, it's designed to use high-performance, low-cost CPUs for
> the control plane.   Would we ever need to think about cpu usage of
> the BGP scanner again if there was a quad core i7 sitting under the
> hood?

although i'm obviously biased (<grin>), no disagreement with your
sentiments.  there's a lot of x86 xeon dual core control-plane
available on Sup1 on N7K today.
with the RIB/FIB architecture used, there is also no "bgp scanner"
process either. :)

one of the luxuries we have with NX-OS is since we have complete
separation of control-plane and data-plane there really isn't anything
that drops you into software forwarding.
that in itself is a major benefit - but it does come with the cost
that the platform is only capable of implementing features that the
underlying hardware (ASIC) forwarding path supports.

for where Nexus and NX-OS is targeted that works out well but isn't
for example, a luxury that a platform like ISR G2 could necessarily
use where its more a 'swiss army' "all things to all people" kind of
platform.

On 29/10/2009, at 12:35 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> People write crap code for fast CPU's all the time David. They also
> get paid for it and it somehow gets into production. :)

no disagreement, the ability to get away with crappy code is more so
for faster processors.
however, in this case, i don't think that applies in this case.  the
folks that wrote said code are the same folks that have written a lot
of code, and there isn't likely multiple IP hops of everyone's
internet connection today, across core router platforms (even non
Cisco ones) that said folks have been involved with.

in the specific case of NX-OS, its very modular code which itself
means one cannot tend to get away with 'crap code' because modularity
doesn't come for free.

cheers,

lincoln.