[c-nsp] network rebuild questions

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Oct 31 13:01:57 EDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 11:50 PM, Bill Desjardins wrote:

> for my uplinks, I've decided to go with separate border routers for
> each provider. I am planning to use 6503/SUP2/(2)6516 taking limited
> BGP (~240k routes) + default. should I be peering each brdr with each
> other? if so, should they be p2p direct to each other in addition to
> connected via the core?

6500 with any current Sup/DFC is a poor choice for edge due to its
well-known NetFlow, uRPF, and ACL caveats; with Sup2, it's a poor
choice for core due to the RIB limitations.

You'd be far better off with ASR1Ks, GSRs, or CRS-1s, IMHO.

Sorry, sometimes I mistake your existential crises for technical
insights.

			-- xkcd #625