[c-nsp] is L2TPv3 right for me?

Church, Charles cchurc05 at harris.com
Sat Oct 31 13:52:07 EDT 2009

Hey all,

	Have a data center migration project (old building to new) where I require the temporary extension of VLANs from the old building to the new one.  The interconnection between the buildings will be Type 1 encryptors back to back via dark fiber (Ethernet), which only do IP (can't function as Layer 2 or support MPLS).  I'm thinking L2TPv3 is what I need, where I can bridge between 5 and 20 VLANs across the link, and route other traffic that doesn't need to be bridged across.  I'm told the Taclanes will support large frames, so that the L2TP and IP headers don't create fragmentation for the normal 1500 byte Ethernet frames.  I'm assuming with L2TP, normal bridging things work (L2 forwarding table built, unknown mac destinations are sent across, etc)...
	The link provided will be gigabit, but with encryption overhead, probably need at most 900 mbit throughput, mostly using full-size frames as traffic will be mostly migration data.  I've got a couple 7206s available with NPE-G1.  I'm thinking that will work.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chuck