[c-nsp] IOS 12.2(52)SE + REP - 3560G

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Oct 31 14:31:02 EDT 2009

Hi all.

Anyone else seeing a 100%+ jump in CPU utilization on a
3560G upgraded from IOS 12.2(44)SE2 to 12.2(52)SE? Average
CPU utilization sat at 5%. Since the upgrade, we're seeing
11% - 12%

I'm suspecting the "REP LSL Hello PP" software process as
that's chewing up a bit of CPU time. I can't say I've
noticed it before. Suffice it to say, REP isn't supported on
this platform.

Looking at the release notes for this code base, the
following is an added feature for the 3560-E and 3750-E:

"Shorter Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) hello: Changes
the range of the REP link status layer (LSL) age timer from
3000 to 10000 ms in 500-ms intervals to 120 to 10000 ms in
40-ms intervals."

The box is doing pure Layer 2 Ethernet switching only.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark.