[c-nsp] slow down VTY speed

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 1 03:58:03 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:56:41PM -0700, Tony wrote:
> We have the situation that when RANCID grabs a config from an
> older 7204 with NPE-300 it causes the CPU to hit 100% for a long
> 4-5 seconds, which is long enough for OSPF with 1 second hello-interval
> to time out and declare neighbours dead.

The problem is quite likely not the VTY speed, but the time it takes the
router to generate the "ASCII config" from its internal tables.

You yould try tweaking the scheduler, to preempt a process that takes
so long (something like "scheduler allocate 1500 1000" or so).  Or you
could just "not run 1-second hellos on a NPE300"...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de