[c-nsp] dampening for VPNv4

Ben Steele illcritikz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 05:47:14 EDT 2009

Are you referring to a BGP session between your PE and a CE or the MP-BGP
session between your PE's?
Either way I don't think aggressive dampening is a good idea and is just a
bandaid to the real underlying problem, you have instability inside your
vrf's IGP, this may be due to link flapping, poor summarization,
mis-configuration etc..

You need to address the issue of why you are seeing an unusual amount of
updates, i've setup mpls vpns with 100+ CE's in a single domain with no
excessive BGP update problem - unless there was an actual fault in the vrf
IGP which was causing the BGP updates.

Ben