[c-nsp] Monitoring CPU usage on a Sup720-3BXL (BGP)

e ninja eninja at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:33:46 EDT 2009

Richard,

On the contrary, as I stated below, the 'impact' of BGP scanner (a
housekeeping task executed by the main processor) on 'system' performance
will continue to diminish as more platforms become modular (distributed
architecture) and/or switch packets in hardware (i.e, independent of RP and
LC CPU eg in FPGAs)

Nothing in the aforementioned suggests that BGP scanner (a critical process
for validating the integrity of the BGP table) will EoL anytime soon.
Instead, if you note the quotes, Drew is concerned with the impact of the
CPU consumed by BGP scanner on 'system' performance. This concern does not
exist on modular platforms with distributed packet switching (c12k, hfr
etc.) that switch packets independent of main RP CPU. Put simply, even if
BGP scanner maxes out an RP CPU at 100% temporarily on a distributed
platform, it will have zero effect on packet switching (a la 'system' perf)
through the device.

Your thoughts below dwell more on enhancing the mechanism to reduce
frequency.

-Eninja ;-)