[c-nsp] Multiple power supply failures. Advise needed

Randy McAnally rsm at fast-serv.com
Wed Sep 2 11:49:59 EDT 2009

You mentioned a couple servers failed -- most if not all servers power
supplies blow outward, sucking air from inside the chassis.  Many Cisco
devices work this way also.  I have rarely seen a power supply that sucks air
in directly from the outside of the chassis.

Given the above, much of the dust would settle on the system board.  The
extremely high tolerances of a typical system board far outweigh those of a
power supply, thus I would expect system instability before the power supply
failed.

My bet is still on power spikes/dips.

--
Randy