[c-nsp] service-policy on virtual interface

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 20:02:51 EDT 2009

Hi Randy,

I remember the previous topic because I was the one who suggested that you disable QOS globally (if you didn't need it) when you were seeing throughput issues. I stand by this as the easiest solution at the time, but now that you need to use QOS for something else, you'll have to look at the queueing and work out what is happening and how to fix it.

If you don't classify any of your traffic the it will all be in the default class (ie. DSCP & COS = 0) and go into the queue for this class.

What happens depends on what hardware you have. As an example, if you have a 6516-GE-TX card then the following happens you enable QOS. If you run the command "show queueing int gigx/y" you will see something like this:

  Default COS is 0
    Queueing Mode In Tx direction: mode-cos
    Transmit queues [type = 1p2q2t]:
    Queue Id    Scheduling  Num of thresholds
       1         WRR low             2
       2         WRR high            2
       3         Priority            1

    WRR bandwidth ratios:  100[queue 1] 255[queue 2]
    queue-limit ratios:     70[queue 1]  15[queue 2]  15[Pri Queue]*same as Q2

    queue random-detect-min-thresholds
    ----------------------------------
      1    40[1] 70[2]
      2    40[1] 70[2]

    queue random-detect-max-thresholds
    ----------------------------------
      1    70[1] 100[2]
      2    70[1] 100[2]

    queue thresh cos-map
    ---------------------------------------
    1     1      0 1
    1     2      2 3
    2     1      4 6
    2     2      7
    3     1      5

From this we can see:

Number of queues = 3 (2 normal/configurable + 1 priority)
Number of thresholds per queue = 2 thresholds (except PQ, which has just 1)

You can see from the COS-MAP (or maybe you can't) that COS 0 & 1 are assigned to queue 1, threshold 1.
The real problem is the random-detect thresholds on the queue. What this means is that once the queue gets full above the min-threshold the box will start random throwing out packets (based on queue weightings and number of packets in queues). When the queue gets above max-threshold then all packets for this queue with the COS value will be dropped. This is done to ensure there is some space in the queues for higher priority packets.

From the card above you can see that unclassified traffic (COS 0) will start getting discarded at 40% and as the queue gets fuller it will progressively discard more. If the queue gets to 70% then ALL COS0 traffic will be discarded. In queue 1 this 30% at the top of the queue is for COS 2 & 3 packets in threshold 2.

This theoretically means that the maximum throughput you would see on the above card with just enabling QOS and not configuring anything is around 700Mbps (70% of 1Gbps). in reality it would probably be a bit less, but that would be absolute maximum

You can change this behaviour with the commands:

 wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold
 wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold

(you'll have to read the syntax for the commands, you need to put queue and thresholds on them)

I'm using this card as an example because I have one in a box I can play with, you'll need to adjust it for your particular situation. All of the above is for TX queues, you may also have to adjust the RX queues.

Now you can see why I previously said the easier option was just to disable QOS ;)

regards,
Tony.