[c-nsp] PAT usage stats...

Kaegler, Mike KaeglerM at tessco.com
Thu Sep 10 15:47:27 EDT 2009

Right now at one ~400 person site, I have 187 active local IPs sharing 1487
still-alive connections. Its your regular everyday sales cubefarm.
That's just shy of an average of 8 translations per active user. By those
numbers, you could have 8,000 salespeople on one PAT.

Personally, I'd cut it faaaaar before that. 800-1000 active, tops. Its not
"expensive" to start a second pool, and you never know when a sites deadline
for online sexual harassment training will be until 4:40pm when the phone
starts ringing...
-porkchop

On 9/10/09 2:41 PM, "Rodney Dunn" <rodunn at cisco.com> wrote:

> Curious...those of you running PAT for NAT, what is the average
> "translations per user" number you see active to determine the address
> pool given to PAT to overload on?
>
> 100 active per user at any give time, 50, ?
>
> Rodney

Michael Kaegler, TESSCO Technologies: Engineering, 410 229 1295
Your wireless success, nothing less. http://www.tessco.com/